Enter our virtual waiting room 5 minutes before your appointment
Start your video call here
How to prepare for a video consult
How to book a video appointment
Just like other appointments, there are three ways to book a video consult.
- Book via the HotDoc app
- Book on HotDoc via our website
- Call reception on (03) 9887 2403
How to log in for a video appointment
- You can use a smartphone, tablet, or computer. You will need to have either Apple’s Safari browser, or Google Chrome – the program won’t load with other browers.
- Just like a normal appointment, it will really help if you can be waiting and ready for the appointment because it will cut down on how much of your appointment is spent just trying to get connected.
- Enter your details when prompted
- Make sure you click ‘Allow’ when the program asks for access to your camera and microphone! This is the most common step where things go wrong.
- Wait for your GP to join the consult
What video platform are you using? Is it private?
- After trialling several different services, we have now settled on using the HealthDirect Video Consultation platform.
- This is funded by the Australian Government, and uses a large, well-established health videoconferencing program called Coviu.
- It does not retain any of your details, such as name or phone number
- The consults are not recorded and no data is retained.
How to prepare for a video appointment
- Click the Test Call button to check if your device can be used for the video call
- At the time of your appointment, try and find somewhere quiet to sit where you can hear, and be heard.
- If we wait for 5 minutes and you haven’t been able to log in to the video chat, we’ll call on the telephone instead
- Just like in real life, we are definitely going to run late sometimes. If we’re a few minutes late, please be patient. If we’re more than 15 minutes late, call the surgery and get our (wonderfully reliable) receptionists to check on things for you – a GP’s day rarely goes to plan and there are lots of reasons why we may be running late.
- If you need prescriptions, tests, or referrals to other health care professionals, we will send these on your behalf directly where they need to go.